The Mall

The Student News Site of The Hun School of Princeton

The Mall

The Mall

Boarding Life: Spirit Week
November 25, 2023
Hun Review
November 25, 2023
Huns Football Jersey Tradition
Bridging the Gap
November 25, 2023

Bridging the Gap

Becky Barus
Hun’s Football Jersey Tradition

The Giving of the Jerseys is one of Hun’s many unique traditions. Each year during the homecoming game under the lights, each football player lends their jersey to a teacher who makes their Hun experience special. 

Ms. Donohue, a Hun Alum who is now a Latin and Classics teacher, was one of the notable jersey recipients. In her four years as a student at Hun, she was the president of the National Junior Classical League and a competitive athlete on the field hockey, softball, and basketball teams. Ms. Donohue is not the only Donohue here at Hun; her younger brother, Jack O’Keefe 24’, is currently a student. During the homecoming game, Mrs. Donahue received her jersey from Jack in a wholesome exchange. “It creates a connection between the teachers and the players,” Ms. Donohue stated in an interview about homecoming weekend and the tradition of Jersey Giving. “And you don’t see that in sports a lot at all… It’s cool; it brings all of the faculty out to the game.” 

Mrs. Robinson, who works in the Heart of Hun and is a teacher for the Hun Dance Company, has received the honor of getting to wear the jersey of Christian Soltis ‘25  twice. “It made me feel wonderful,” she said. 

Ms. Douyon, another alum, is a dorm parent and a new teaching fellow who instructs Seminar Nine and Middle School Drama. During her time in the Upper School, Ms. Douyon was a senator, participant in two of the major theatrical productions, member of the crew team, and the first to begin the Black Student Union’s tradition of wearing stoles at graduation. “It felt really good being a first year teacher and having that much of an impact on one of my students…I just felt really honored.” She was given her jersey by Jayden Haynes, a ninth grader in her Seminar class. “My brother played football and I was his biggest cheerleader. The coach was always saying, “‘you believing in them keeps them going,’” Ms. Douyon said.

This fun and valuable tradition highlights that Hun, at its core, is a community. This tradition not only creates a stronger bond between students and teachers; it bridges the gap between a standard teacher-student relationship and brings all parts of Hun together. Many other schools’ relationship between the Arts department and the Athletic department does not go further than the marching band playing at a few football games. At Hun, we are not separated into departments or sections. We are not exclusive or cliquey. We are one.