The Mall

The Student News Site of The Hun School of Princeton

The Mall

The Mall

Boarding Life: Spirit Week
November 25, 2023
Hun Review
November 25, 2023
Huns Football Jersey Tradition
Bridging the Gap
November 25, 2023

Boarding Life: Spirit Week

Hey, I am Pietra, a sophomore and a resident student at Hun. This is my first year here and I am looking forward to sharing some of my experiences as a boarder. Life here is very fun and exciting! 

On weekdays, my routine is quite planned and structured. I wake up early in the morning and head to breakfast. Then, I go to classes from 8:25 in the morning until 3:00 in the afternoon. I often go to extra help, or my room, so I can change for sports. After that, I head down to the athletic center so I can go to my soccer practice.

When practice finishes, my friends and I go to the dining hall so we can have dinner together and talk about our days. After dinner, we usually gather in Global Commons, where we can enjoy various activities, or we just go to one of our dorms so we can talk. I typically use the time before study hall to shower and then I study and do my homework assignments. Study hall ends at 9:45 PM, so my friends and I return to Global Commons to relax, chat, or play games there. By 10:30 PM, we need to be back at our dorms because there is a bed check. After bed check, If I have any remaining work, I use my time to finish it and then I go to sleep.

Weekends offer more flexibility. I can wake up later for brunch, and after eating brunch, I normally go to some of the weekend activities. Some of these activities include a supply run to Nassau Park, a Wawa trip, or the Quaker Bridge Mall. When I get back, I spend time with my friends and eat dinner. We spend the night doing fun things together and at 11:30, we have our bed check.

Furthermore, besides all of the fun activities that were going on at school during spirit week, resident students had a lot of activities as well. Boarding students had access to an open gym, bonfire, halo pub ice cream, What’s Happening Wednesday, spirit week decoration with resident life, an open game on Thursday, and the opportunity to cheer for our different games happening throughout the weekend. Spirit week is a time for bonding, school spirit, and a chance to create a lot of fun memories within our community, especially for boarding students. People from various nationalities come together to get to know more about American culture and experience different things, as well as have a lot of fun! It’s a great way to meet new people, watch and participate in games, and most of all, create a sense of community, something that Hun is known for far and wide.  

Lastly, the boarding life at Hun School is a unique educational experience that comes with both rewards and responsibilities. It encourages independence and open-mindedness among students. We have the privilege of building friendships with people from all over the world, who have different cultures and traditions. Boarding life is exciting, offering multiple opportunities for entertainment and growth.